As a stylist keeping an organized and well stocked kit is like having a life line and an army of assistants. These little items will save your bacon on a daily basis. Now whether you are a stylist or not, having a mini version of this either in your car, office or bathroom cupboard is way easier and less expensive than you think!
When I teach our Styling Course at the INTERNATIONAL STYLE INSTITUTE we dedicate a whole section to the stylist’s kit.
Here are my essentials. With all of these in your arsenal…. anything is possible!
- Handheld steamer – I havent used an iron in about a decade. These little ones are so easy and compact.
- Double sided tape – Whether its for temporarily holding up a fallen hem or a well placed piece of tape to maintain your modesty.
- Bobby pins – These have a million uses. From creating a quick and easy hairstyle to threading through a broken zipper.
- Scissors – maybe the most useful tool in the house and no matter how many pairs I have dotted around they are always impossible to find!
- Static Guard – You can also get rid of static by splashing water on your hands and lightly spritzing the fabric (as long as its not silk!) or just using some lotion on your body to curb any dryness.
- Deodorant remover wipes – A great alternative if you don’t have these is to use the foam from the wire ‘dry cleaners hangers’ and rub that over the deodorant marks on clothing.
- Underwear – Having the correct underwear can make or break your outfit! Spanx, a strapless bra and a nude thong are the most essential.
- Lint roller – Never leave home without it! I have one in the car, in my kitchen drawer and in the bathroom.
- Binder clips – Everything from keeping a leaking lip gloss shut to making an emergency cufflink once with the mini one by pushing the silver tips through the button hole and opening them to stay in place (this is NOT a fashion statement I would recommend though!)
- Mini sewing kit – Its in everyones best interests (male or female!) to know how to sew on a button, or tack a hem.
- Elastic bands / regular hairbands – Hold up a sleeve or trouser leg (roll it into the fabric so no one will see) to keep jeans up that won’t button (loop it through the button hole and around the button, use two so if you only have the thin bands).
- Alcohol wipes – from wiping down earrings, disinfecting minor cuts / scrapes, removing hairspray from mirrors and getting ink stains out of garments.
- Ziploc bags – Whether its to keep your safety pins and bobby pins in, throw in toiletries at the airport or use to keep worn underwear in whilst traveling these little baggies are worth their weight in gold.
- Tide-to-go pen – Always test it first on the back of a hem or somewhere you cant see it before applying to a stain.
- Safety pins – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand in gold, black and silver.
- Sharpie – One of the best inventions of the 21st century!
- Wipes – to clean hands, spills, make up.
Underwear is as important as outerwear. Make sure you have the correct underwear for each outfit ahead of time. There is nothing worse than having to completely rethink a look because you don't own a nude strapless bra!